FFmpeg and x264 circular dependency

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:48:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Andrew Berg
<aberg010 at my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:
> What would it take to separate libav into its own port? I realize the change would be disruptive, but it seems a lot cleaner than keeping it
> bundled with FFmpeg, even if FFmpeg bundles libav upstream, and it would solve this issue and potentially some similar issues with other
> ports that use libav. There is a separate git repository for libav[1], however, I do not know how well it works with the rest of FFmpeg[2].

libav is not ffmpeg, it is a fork of ffmpeg*, so that is a non starter.

Option 4, not on your list, is to build an ffmpeg locally just for
x264 to link to. libx264 can build with whatever options you want,
building whatever parts of ffmpeg is requires, and the
presence/non-presence of ffmpeg would not affect the build of libx264.
This is how other projects that use parts of ffmpeg do it (eg,
mythtv).

Cheers

Tom

* I know that "libav" is the api of ffmpeg, but "git.libav.org" is NOT
ffmpeg, it is "libav", the fork of ffmpeg. So confusing..