ripping audio CD to mp3 gives silent file

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Jul 16 18:37:51 UTC 2014

El día Wednesday, July 16, 2014 a las 11:23:29AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney escribió:

> > >  > write first the .wav file, test it and convert it then to mp3.
> > >
> > >  > Thanks for this hint. Already the .wav file is silent, also in a
> > >  > Windows media player the created .wav file is silent.
> > >
> > > Well, lame gave a faithful rendering, then :)
> >
> > Yes, and how do I solve the problem that the .wav file is silent
> > already?
>
> Have you played the .wav file on another machine than the FreeBSD
> machine?

As I wrote above: I tested the *.wav file with the Win7 Media Player.

> How did you determine that the .wav file is slient?

I tried to play it with mplayer: mplayer shows progress, but no sound.
Then I played with the same mplayer on the same system some older mp3
file with the same headphone: worked fine.

After ripping the CD on some other FreeBSD system, I copied the file to
the VM and used the same mplayer again: worked now as it should.

	matthias
--
Matthias Apitz               |  /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign:
E-mail: guru at unixarea.de     |  \ /   - No HTML/RTF in E-mail