conflict between kernel sound and oss

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Wed Jul 9 21:39:19 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm attempting to experiment with audio/oss.  My audio device is a USB
Behringer 202, which works fine with snd_uaudio.

I've removed "device sound" from my kernel, but sound.ko and
snd_uaudio.ko still get built, and even though I have set:

snd_driver_load="NO"
snd_uaudio_load="NO"

the kernel still loads both on boot.  I tried renaming them,
but the kernel still associates those modules with the device.
So when for, for example, I unplug the device and then plug it
back in, I get

ugen1.8: <vendor 0x1a40> at usbus1
uhub10: <vendor 0x1a40 USB 2.0 Hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.11, addr 8> on
usbus1
ugen1.9: <Burr-Brown from TI> at usbus1
KLD snd_uaudio.ko: depends on sound - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
uhid0: <Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio CODEC, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00,
addr 9> on usbus1

And osstest doesn't find the device.  osscore does load fine, and
I've observed that it won't load if sound.ko is already loaded.

This is a week old -current.

Any hints on how to proceed appreciated.

Best regards,
Russell