[CFT] New upstream version of mplayer + mencoder

Thomas Zander riggs at freebsd.org
Thu Dec 25 13:42:32 UTC 2014

Dear video enthusiasts,

I have put a draft of the upcoming port update to mplayer and mencoder
here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~riggs/m20141225.tar.bz2

There have been a few noticeable changes, so I expect more regressions
compared to the last update. I'd appreciate if you checked out this
tarball (it's a drop-in replacement for multimedia/{mplayer|mencoder})
and let me know about any problems that it introduces for you, and, if
possible, a fix for them.

In a nutshell, this has changed compared to the current ports tree
version of the ports:
- Upstream versions of mplayer and ffmpeg as of 2014-12-23
- Remove the following OPTIONS:
  - MEMALIGN (now used by default where supported)
  - PROFILE (shaky, unreliable, rarely used, nigh unsupportable)
  - DIRAC (codec support only via libschroedinger)
- Default-depends on external libdvdnav (mplayer no longer bundles
  internal dvd support libraries)
- Simplify CFLAGS handling
- Remove -fomit-frame-pointer from CFLAGS (we have apparently a fair
  number of CPUs out there which can't run code compiled with this
  option reliably)

I have test-built several OPTIONS permutations (default, all, none,
some personal favourites) on 8.4 (i386), 9.3 (i386) and 10.1 (i386, amd64,
armv6), so it should have evolved far enough for broader testing.
Please, go ahead!

Best wishes
Riggs