mplayer-1.1 crashing on MP4 (and other files)

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Dec 23 10:11:02 UTC 2014

El día Monday, December 22, 2014 a las 08:49:20PM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running HEAD r269739 (from August this year) and ports from r364424.
> All packages are built on some other host and installed with pkg(8) on
> my Acer netbook. Re/ mplayer it is:
>
> $ pkg info | fgrep mplayer
> mplayer-1.1.r20140418_4        High performance media player supporting many formats
> mplayer-skins-1.1.3_2          Skins for MPlayer's Graphical User Interface (GUI)
>
> Mplayer is crashing on certain files, for example MP4 files downloaded
> from youtube, for example the one below. I know that older versions on
> mplayer (i.e. before updating to r269739 / r364424) could play them.
>
> What should I do? Re-compile mplayer (only) direct on the Acer and not
> install it as pkg? Thanks for any ideas.

I pulled out the ports r364424 out of SVN and compiled
multimedia/mplayer on the Acer netbook (all other depencies have been
installed as packages before). The compiled mplayer crashes as well with
the file.

If you want to make a test, just download the file with
youtube-dl 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jOHHyJMgWk'
which gives a local file (note the blanks in the name)
'Acer C720 Chromebook SSD Upgrade MyDigitalSSD 128GB--jOHHyJMgWk.mp4'
and start mplayer with it like:

$ mplayer 'Acer C720 Chromebook SSD Upgrade MyDigitalSSD 128GB--jOHHyJMgWk.mp4'

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-170-4527211
1989-2014: The Wall was torn down so that we go to war together again.