Sound configuration for Enlightenment 17

Russell L. Carter rcarter at pinyon.org
Tue Aug 5 20:41:53 UTC 2014

Hi Eric,

On 08/05/14 07:52, Eric McCorkle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a FreeBSD setup on a Lenovo W540 Mobile workstation. The
> sound devices seem to be detected just fine (the nvidia-X11 driver
> doesn't seem to work, but that's another issue).  I'm having some issues
> with the sound system that seem to originate from userland.
>
> I'm running Enlightenment 17 as the window manager.  It does not seem to
> detect the sound card at all (its volume control shows no devices).
>
> Firefox, on the other hand (currently configured to use pulseaudio),
> seems to have its sound work just fine, or at least the flash plugin
> does (I can watch youtube videos with sound just fine).
>
> I tried playing around with pulseaudio, jack, alsalib, and friends a
> while back.  It seems that alsalib is failing to detect the sound card
> for some reason.  I'm not that familiar with the lower-level sound
> architecture, so I'm not sure what the problem could be (it might be
> something very simple).  Can anyone give me pointers on where to start?

A few weeks back I posted a message that basically summed up to what
you describe here.  alsalib doesn't detect my sound device, so e.g.
audacity won't work.  Browsers, mplayer, etc work fine.

I'm steadily working to the point where I can dive into this deep enough
to figure out the problem but I'm not there yet.  Maybe next week.

Best,
Russell