Technisat DVB-S PCI card

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Fri Sep 20 19:28:24 UTC 2013

In article <20130920142848.17218ac0 at zeta.dino.sk> you write:
>Hi,
Hi!

>as part of larger work we gained new cables with both DVB-S and DVB-T
>signal. I already know a bit about DVB-T, I can receive streams with
>ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick and VDR (with help from this
>list, remote is not yet functional, but this is discussed in another
>thread).
>
>Now I got some older DVB-S card for free and would like to try it. From
>'pciconf -lv' I got (slightly reformatted to avoid wrap issues)
>
>none0 at pci0:1:0:0:
>class=0x028000 card=0x210313d0 chip=0x210313d0 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>  vendor  = 'Techsan Electronics Co Ltd'
>  device  = 'B2C2 Sky2PC Core Chip sky star 2 <technisat> (T228502)'
>  class   = network
>
>With some browsing I was able to find page at
>http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/TechniSat_SkyStar_2_TV_PCI_/_Sky2PC_PCI
>stating it work quite well under Linux. Has anyboady some experience
>with it under FreeBSD? Is driver already ported or nothing is done,
>yet? In general, how does PCI card usage differ from USB device,
>working with webcamd?

 webcamd only works for usb hardware, running Linux pci drivers in
userland would require at least iommu/vt-d hardware and of course
new code, if it makes sense at all.  So you'll have more luck using
an usb dvb-s(2) tuner like one I use:

	http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Technisat_SkyStar_USB_HD

 (Yes there also is multimedia/cx88 for some cx88-based pci(e)
tuners but it only supports dvb-t and atsc, not dvb-s.)

>Regards,
>Milan
 Best,
	Juergen