Regression in Webcamd

Henry Hu henry.hu.sh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 06:00:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

Recently I tried to use my TV stick (Pinnacle PCTV 801e SE) that once I
used successfully, and found that it does not work properly.

The scanning works fine, but when playing the video, it seems like that the
data fed to players are problematic. I tried mplayer/vlc/mythtv and all of
them show similar problems: the video is mangled (with correct blocks here
and there) and the audio is intermittent. mplayer says a52 decoding error
and mpeg2 decoding error.
It's not a signal problem, because it works flawlessly with older versions
of webcamd.
I tried various versions of webcamd and here is the result:
322747 (3.11.0.2) does not work
322982 (3.10.0.7) does not work
312661 (3.9.0.5) works
310291 (3.9.0.1) works
300026 (3.6.0.1) works
277800 (3.0.0.1) works
So it seems like that there is a regression between 3.9.0.5 and 3.10.0.7.
I'm willing to help with debugging this problem.

My system is a recent current under amd64.

--
Cheers,
Henry