vlc-2.1.0.4 fails with libssh2 enabled

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 18:23:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM, William Grzybowski <william88 at gmail.com>wrote:

> It looks like it is an openssl problem.
> Have you tried installing the openssl package from ports?
>
> William,

Thanks for the very quick response!

I had not, but I just gave it a try and it allows vlc to configure, build,
and run. But this is not the right solution. Makefile does not have a
direct dependency on openssl at all, only libgcrypt and libssh2. Since both
are happy with the base openssl, vlc should build just fine!

In fact, after building vlc with openssl, it still does not use it. It uses
the base version.since that is what openssh2 uses. It's just that
pkg-config can't find openssl.pc since the base version does not create one
(or any .pc files).  there is never a run dependency on it:
# ldd /usr/local/bin/vlc
/usr/local/bin/vlc:
    libvlc.so.9 => /usr/local/lib/libvlc.so.9 (0x2c41c000)
    libvlccore.so.7 => /usr/local/lib/libvlccore.so.7 (0x2c634000)
    libidn.so.17 => /usr/local/lib/libidn.so.17 (0x2c8f8000)
    libiconv.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3 (0x2cb2a000)
    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x2ce26000)
    libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x2d078000)
    libthr.so.3 => /lib/libthr.so.3 (0x2d299000)
    libc.so.7 => /lib/libc.so.7 (0x2d4bc000)

In fact, I can just delete the openssl port as soon as I install vlc as the
port has no dependency on it at all. It has just become a "pseudo-build"
dependency.

I really hate using the ports version of openssl. It eventually will lead
to conflicts as ports linked to ports using the base openssl will also link
to different ports linked to the ports version and then those ports will
not start when the rtld checks for version mis-matches. I suggest that
configure should be patched to not check for openssl with pkg-config (or
check of it at all) sicne it's in FreeBSD out of the box.

As a side note, I get the "disturbing" warning:
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-dv, --disable-loader,
--enable-qt4, --enable-real, --disable-smb, --disable-sqlite,
--disable-xosd, --with-qt-includes, --with-qt-libraries, --with-extra-libs,
--with-extra-includes
 which makes me suspect the port options are out of date, but this does not
break the build, it just means that some options are not honored.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com