[Bulk] Re: snd_envy24{,ht} recording support?

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Wed Mar 20 16:03:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:44:10 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> > You can spend as much money on a sound card as you like, but if the
> > sound card is only outputting digital data over SPDIF to a separate
> > DAC, then there is no difference between the cheapest card and the
> > most expensive card, both would sound identical.
>
> I don't like consumer SPDIF, but this is OT now, indeed I'm thinking of
> analog IOs.
>
> So I'll rephrase my claim: Analog IOs and D/A, A/D converters of _all_
> on-board devices are crap!

And that's the truth. One of the main reasons for me to buy an Envy24ht
was the crappy quality of the AC97 onboard chips back then. But HDA is
a lot better (I'm still able to hear a difference between the HDA in my
current desktop and the Envy) and most people are just stupid endusers
without any interest in hi-fi. For them HDA is good enough and because
of that most affordable high end consumer soundcards vanished. But as

--
Homepage:  www.yamagi.org
XMPP:      yamagi at yamagi.org
GnuPG/GPG: 0xEFBCCBCB