ports/179449: multimedia/vlc, audio/flac: utterly broken since FLAC update

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Mon Jun 10 20:00:02 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR ports/179449; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de>
To: Matthias Andree <mandree at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/179449: multimedia/vlc, audio/flac: utterly broken since
 FLAC update
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 21:56:17 +0200

 Matthias Andree:

 > I wonder why vlc had built fine, and then failed after the most recent
 > commit to itself and to FLAC...

 There is a change in 1.3.0's flac.pc that causes pkg-config --cflags
 to produce a different result.

 The idea was always that applications should include FLAC's headers
 like this

 #include <FLAC/xxx.h>

 as in the examples and other Xiph code.  However, the old pkg-config
 specs returned -I/usr/local/include/FLAC, so if you relied on
 pkg-config and didn't run into an assert.h clash, then plain <xxx.h>
 also worked.

 This was corrected in 1.3.0:

 $ pkg-config --cflags flac
 -I/usr/local/include

 Although FLAC 1.3.0 is the first release after almost six years,
 and the use of symbol visibility has caused a lot of superficial
 differences in the libraries, there haven't been any significant
 changes in the documented API.

 Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de