Waiting for sound system to respond

John Caldwell caldwelljohn44 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 23:12:41 UTC 2013

Ok, I have managed to remove pulseaudio without compiling kernel on FreeBSD 9.1.  I just did

pkg_delete -f -x pulseaudio

and then ran

pkgdb -F

since I already rebuilt all the ports that depends on pulseaudio after "make config" to remove pulseaudio dependencies, the above command found and thus removed those stale dependencies on pulseaudio.

However, that did not solve the original problem.  That is, the hardware volume and mute buttons still do nothing, the Volume Control in gnome won't open, and System->Preferences->Sound won't open.  The only difference is that now there is no small window of "Waiting for sound system to respond" poping up any more.  When attempting to open the Sound menu, a small timer icon still appears for about 15 seconds before disappearing.

And I can still watch the youtube video with perfect sound volume control under the youtube video, as before.