Waiting for sound system to respond

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:15:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:57:25 +0100, John Caldwell
<caldwelljohn44 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> gnome-settings-daemon

Rebuild gnome-settings-daemon and disable pulseaudio. Theoretically it's
possible to disable pulseaudio, but this doesn't work for all versions as
expected. On Linux it's enough to build a dummy package, that fakes to
provide PA, this doesn't cause issues, as long as libpulse(audio) or what
ever it's named, is installed. However, on Linux (by upstream) only
gnome-settings-daemon has the hard dependency to PA. It might be different
for FreeBSD, I'm a newbie for BSD myself. I'm using Xfce4, but have GNOME
installed too, since there were obscure dependencies, seemingly not from
upstream, but for FreeBSD. I didn't experienced this on Linux.

I don't have PA installed.

$ pkg_info | grep pulseaudio
$ pkg_info | grep gnome-settings-daemon
gnome-settings-daemon-2.32.1_4 GNOME 2 settings daemon

I suspect you need to rebuild all the listed dependencies. I only can
speak for Linux (and upstream), theoretically and on Linux in reality you
only need to rebuild gnome-settings-daemon, or to fake that the dependency
is fulfilled.

Regards,
Ralf