OSS and ALSA

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:16:19 UTC 2013

Thank you David,

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:21:53 +0100, David Demelier
<demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't enable OSS4 nor ALSA, VLC can run fine with FreeBSD kernel mixer
> support (that has a OSS compatibility support).
> Just use defaults, it will always work more when you use default options.

I'll use audio software such as Ardour with jackd, if I launch jackd with
oss, there are only the two analog IOs of my HDSPe AIO available, ALSA
doesn't work.
I'll get the 8 ADAT ports, since I connect my sound card to an ADAT device.

This is the sound card:
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php
This is the connected ADAT device:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/ADA8000.aspx

Just for a test VLC would be ok.

Ok, so I compile VLC and dependencies, that were not already compiled,
with their default configuration. Some dependencies perhaps are already
compiled.

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:22:07 +0100, David Demelier
<demelier.david at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean audacious, not VLC

Audacious with jack and other non-defaults enabled will compile OSS. When
VLC is compiled, I'll read how to reset the config and compile it with
it's defaults.

For test purposes this is ok, but for audio production it's a no-go. FWIW
I generally don't add pulseaudio support since environments with
pulseaudio don't work with professional gear on Linux. Even if it should
work on FreeBSD, the code is odd, since it will adjust 2 volumes in the
same signal chain at the same time. An audio engineer doing this, never
ever would get a job. This is not how audio signals are handled in the
professional world, doing it that way is idiotic.

To be continued.

Regards,
Ralf