OSS configuration on Dell Latitude D6320

Gereon Kaiping gereon.kaiping at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 12:58:17 UTC 2013

Dear Multimedia readers,

So as to not leave the another person that might by accident stumble
upon my last mail stay in the dark (or quiet), this is what I did:

After some more search, I stumbled upon
http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?t=28542, where sg1efc, mav@
and Peter2121 solved the problem as follows:

Install audio/linux-f10-alsa-plugins-oss from ports, and add
additional entries to /compat/linux/etc/alsa/pcm/pcm-oss.conf.

For example, with the entry

pcm.oss1 {
        type oss
        device /dev/dsp1
        hint {
                description "Open Sound System 1"
        }
}

I can select this particular device in the skype options menu, and my
built-in microphone works.

-- Gereon

PS: There may be some superfluous package installations or such like
in my process, I haven't tested that. But willing to use skype, how
can I complain about superfluous packages?