ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick

Milan Obuch freebsd-multimedia at dino.sk
Tue Aug 27 21:10:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

today I got ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick and would like to use
it under FreeBSD. As I did not try anything like this before, I would
like some help here. First what I did...

Some product info is on http://www.notonlytv.net/p_lv52t.html - not
much, as usual.

Device presents itself in dmesg/console after connecting like this:

ugen4.3: <ITE Technologies, Inc.> at usbus4
uhid0: <ITE Technologies, Inc. DVB-T TV Stick, class 0/0, rev
2.00/2.00, addr 3> on usbus4

usbconfig dump_device_desc for ugen4.3 writes

ugen4.3: <DVB-T TV Stick ITE Technologies, Inc.> at usbus4, cfg=0
md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x048d
  idProduct = 0x9006
  bcdDevice = 0x0200
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <ITE Technologies, Inc.>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <DVB-T TV Stick>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

so I googled for vendor 048d and product 9006. I found some interesting
pages, first one is https://linuxtv.org/patch/8794/ - which told me the
device is known and could be used, at least in linux. Then I came to
http://www.abclinuxu.cz/poradna/hardware/show/351331 - in Czech,
interesting link there points to some source somehow dug from producer -
http://www.abclinuxu.cz/data/prilohy/1/0/183701-it9135_src-tar-8535350393703910459.bz2
- I have no idea what to do with this, but maybe someone has. Page
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ITE_IT9135 show how to get
firmware for this device. It will be used later.

As I already have webcamd installed, I just tried run webcamd and got
it:

# kldload cuse4bd
# webcamd
Attached to ugen4.3[0]
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Creating /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

Firmware obtained before was put into /boot/modules and some devices
were presented. Now the question is, how could I use it. Some time ago
I did some test with simple webcam, where I could use pwcview to see
image from camera, however it is of no use here, I got just

% pwcview -d /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
Failed to get current picture info: Device not configured
% pwcview -d /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
Failed to get current picture info: Invalid argument
% pwcview -d /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
Failed to get current picture info: Invalid argument

so something else should be used.

And here comes the question - are those devices presented via webcamd
enough or do I need something more? Which application is the simplest
one for first test? I think I need some player application to watch
video and something to select stream to watch. Also there is a
remote, /dev/uhid0 is created when connected to USB port so it should
be usable too.

I am trying to get some info from https://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat
even if this device is not (yet) mentioned here, and
https://wiki.freebsd.org/VDR too, maybe this is not the simplest
application but nevertheless...

Any help here is appreciated.

Regards,