xbmc-pvr-addons: on the way to xbmc pvr

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at bluelife.at
Sat Aug 17 09:23:52 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

now that we have xbmc 12.2 and tvheadend in the portstree the next
step to a proper PVR solution running on FreeBSD is to add the xbmc
pvr addons that allow to use various backends like tvheadend.

I have already created a port for the pvr addons that builds and
installs just fine but for some reason xbmc doesn't like them and
doesn't even display them in the GUI or any errors in the logfile.

To try out the xbmc-pvr-addons port:
svn co https://svn.redports.org/decke/multimedia/xbmc-addon-pvr

It should build and install fine but it doesn't seem to have any
effect on xbmc. You can also build ZIP packages for the addons that
you can try to install via the Addon manager.

Build zip addons:
cd xbmc-addon-pvr && make && cd work/xbmc-pvr-addons-12.0-Frodo && make zip

Install ZIP addons:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on_manager#How_to_install_from_a_ZIP_file

With the ZIP files I always get "Add-on does not have the correct
structure" immediately. No log message that tells why it's
complaining.

There was one error in the logfile with stock multimedia/xbmc 12.2
that I fixed on the way:
ERROR: PVR - CreateTables - failed to get add-ons from the add-on manager

I fixed it with the following patch that I also needed for xbmc-pvr-addons.
http://people.freebsd.org/~decke/patches/xbmc-12.2_1-addon-fix.diff

So we are pretty close to a working xbmc pvr because the requires
parts are all there already. We have an up-to-date xbmc 12.2 in the
tree. tvheadend with FreeBSD support from latest git is also available
in multimedia/tvheadend and works fine with webcamd devices. The
xbmc-pvr-addons port is also there already. All that is left is
getting that parts working in combination.

I hope someone has an idea what is going on there or how to fix that. :o)

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/