kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 14:21:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I've written many technical details in snd_hda manual page, but as usual in
> such cases, the more I am writing, the less people can understand it. If
> somebody can explain these things in some easy way -- welcome.

I just wanted to jump in here and say a big thank you to mav for all
his work on snd_hda (and all the other bits he works on). For me, HDA
was worked correctly on all devices I've tried it on, with minimum
fuss or issues.

The only issues I've ever had have been where the BIOS does not
correctly indicate what the sources/sinks are, and a little bit of
tweaking is required, eg to have front audio muting speakers when
connected.

This does require some tweaks, and the whole cad/nid syntax is
slightly confusing - I got mine right by voodoo, I think. If there are
budding technical writers out there who do understand this, and fancy
contributing, I think that would be fantastic.

Cheers

Tom