kern/148741: [sound] Headphones are deaf (do not work) on Lenovo ThinkPad X300

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 27 19:23:24 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 08:46, Alexander Motin wrote:
> I haven't removed support for model-specific hacks, even moved them
> into separate file to make easier to handle them. If there is so much
> interest to this specific model, I don't mind to add it. But first we
> have to clean up the problem. Provided hints look more like
> inconsistent combination of hints from different systems. So at first
> we should find out which of these lines are really useful and why.
> Vermaden, could you do some binary search and upload somewhere verbose
> dmesg output for better understanding of the situation.

I had experience with hda devices on FreeBSD 3 times, and they proved
spooky.
* On Lenovo S10-2 it's not obvious how to set up microphone. Microphone
in mixer is up and there is audible signal coming out of speakers from
the microphone, but signal doesn't go to pcm input, and skype for
example doesn't transmit the voice. I remember I was able to fix the
problem manipulating the mixer channels, but it wasn't an obvious fix,
and had to be written down on sticker accompanying the netbook. It
wasn't just "click the Record check box".
* Lenovo ThinkPad T60 also had some sound issues with sound (Intel
Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
(rev 01)). Sound just didn't play out of the box. However I don't have
BSD on it now.
* Desktop with Asus P6T has on-board hda device (Intel 82801JI HDA
Controller), and when the sound is playing with the default setup,
signal comes from the sound socket on the back of computer, not from the
front one. How to make it play on the front? I am sure it is possible
with some device hints.

I think it makes sense to have the handbook section under Audio
dedicated to such devices that usually aren't obviously easy to set up.
Brief explanation why the problems arise and whet is the normal way of
fixing them would be great. And I imagine someone like Alexander who is
an expert in this area would be the perfect candidate to write such section.

Yuri