RME audio card user new to FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Nov 24 14:45:41 UTC 2012

Thank you!

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 15:14 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
>  Don't want to try 9.1RC3?

I thought it would be better to start with something "stable" as a
newbie and now burning already is in progress.

> (I think you can also back it up, but make sure you don't restore the
> slice table in the mbr too if you add the bsd slice from bsdinstall,
> only the actual bootcode.)

I backup the first 512 bytes:
dd if=/dev/sda of=MBR_sda-$BACKUP_NAME_ADD bs=512 count=1

So I should restore from byte 0 to byte 439 only if a restore should be
needed?

I assume that there's also a way to recover a broken partition table
with "BSD information" if needed and no backup should be available?

Regards,
Ralf