RME audio card user new to FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:29:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

due to technical issues this mail perhaps was sent multiple times to the list, if so, then
I apologize. It wasn't in the archive.

I've got a few newbie requests.

As a Linux user for a long time, interested in audio engineering, I've
got bad luck with a RME HDSPe AIO audio card.
Under Linux only ADAT channels 1 and 2 can be used.
It's written that a FreeBSD driver does support all 8 ADAT IOs.
The CPU is an Athlon 64-bit dual-core.

IIUC there aren't issues regarding to 64-bit architecture, so I should
download and install
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
and if I'll use an already installed Linux GRUB legacy, I don't need a
free primary partition.

Is there something I should take care of during installation, if audio
is important?

Until now I didn't read much, but I already noticed that there are Wikis
similar to Linux Wikis, such as http://wiki.freebsd.org/Sound .

Any hints are welcome.

FWIW on this machine there's the RME audio card and in addition there're
two Envy24 cards installed.

Regards,
Ralf