last mplayer and h264 videos

Barbara barbara.xxx1975 at libero.it
Sat Jan 21 17:53:24 UTC 2012

After upgrading to the last version of mplayer, most of the videos I have,
encoded with h.264, are almost unplayable.
Maybe those videos are not encoded correctly, but the same didn't happened
with the previous version or with totem.

Something like this is outputted on the console, with the lines prefixed with
"[h264 @" repeated continuosly:

$ gmplayer h264_decode_error.m2ts
MPlayer SVN-r34449-snapshot-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team

Playing /usr/home/bar/h264_decode_error.m2ts.
TS file format detected.
VIDEO H264(pid=4113) NO AUDIO! (try increasing -tsprobe) NO SUBS (yet)!
PROGRAM N. 1
FPS seems to be: 23.976025
Load subtitles in /usr/home/bar/
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Unsupported PixelFormat 81
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]top block unavailable for requested intra mode at 63 34
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]error while decoding MB 63 34, bytestream (14764)
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]top block unavailable for requested intra4x4 mode -1 at 34
50
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]error while decoding MB 34 50, bytestream (6909)
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]concealing 6984 DC, 6984 AC, 6984 MV errors
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [vdpau] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
V:5398.5   2/  2 ??% ??% ??,?% 0
0
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]top block unavailable for requested intra4x4 mode -1 at 70
16
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]error while decoding MB 70 16, bytestream (14750)
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]concealing 5946 DC, 5946 AC, 5946 MV errors
V:5398.6   3/  3 ??% ??% ??,?% 0
0
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]top block unavailable for requested intra4x4 mode -1 at 61
50
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]error while decoding MB 61 50, bytestream (7086)
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]concealing 7126 DC, 7126 AC, 7126 MV errors
V:5398.6   4/  4 ??% ??% ??,?% 0
0
[h264 @ 0x8b0b560]cabac decode of qscale diff failed at 30 16

The mplayer's FAQ page suggest to disable frame dropping or starting it with -
noframedrop, but the result is the same.
The movie I've just used to test and to grab some output for the example above
has been downloaded from a post in the ffmpeg mailing list I hit searching from
the problem (which should be solved in ffmpeg)
    http://www.mail-archive.com/ffmpeg-issues@lscube.org/msg09365.html
It has some glitches with totem, but it's acceptable comparing it to mplayer
and I bet it play much better with the old version.

Does anyone else have the same problem with the video, or for example with h.
264 videos downloaded from youtube, or is it a problem with my configuration?