Problems getting an HP Photosmart C4180 to scan with SANE

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Thu Jan 5 17:11:24 UTC 2012

hello, world\n

I'm trying to get an HP Photosmart C4180 to scan with 9-STABLE.
I've read the relevant section in the handbook and installed
/usr/ports/graphics/sane-backend.
The printer is conected via USB cable and it probes as

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da0: <HP Photosmart C4180 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

The scanner is found with
# sane-find-scanner -q
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x5711 [Photosmart C4100 series]) at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen3.2

However, I can't get scanimage to work:

# scanimage --list-devices

I tried frobbing various parts of /usr/local/etc/sane.d/hp.conf
but to no avail. Does anyone know the magic spell/place/file/tweak?

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/