Sound intermittently stops working

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jan 4 22:58:43 UTC 2012

"Conrad J. Sabatier" wrote:
> Anyone have any clues as to what might cause sound to suddenly stop
> working?  Every so often, for no apparent reason, my audio output just
> stops abruptly and cannot be restored without a reboot.  No error
> messages from either the kernel or whatever audio app I may be running
> at the time (which will continue playing, blissfully unaware that
> anything out of the ordinary is happening).  For all outward appearances
> (other than aurally), everything seems to still be working perfectly
> normally.
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD serene.no-ip.org 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #1: Sun Jan
> 1 18:03:55 CST 2012
> conrads at serene.no-ip.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  amd64
>
> # cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2009061500/amd64)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #0 Analog> (play/rec) default
> pcm1: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #1 Analog> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #2 Digital> (play)
> pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC888 PCM #3 Digital> (play)
>
> Sorry I don't have any more useful diagnostic-type information.
>
> Does anyone else ever experience this sort of thing?  Is there any way
> to get the sound going again, other than rebooting?
>
> Thanks!

You could save good status with
	sysctl -a > sysctl.good
	mixer > mixer.good
then what it goes wrong,
	sysctl -a > sysctl.bad
	mixer > mixer.bad
	diff -c sysctl.good sysctl.bad ; diff -c mixer.good mixer.bad
& if anything Has changed do a find & grep on the variable name.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".