problem with VLC and hardware acceleration

AN andy at neu.net
Fri Dec 7 22:57:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Juergen Lock wrote:

> You can test the clang theory by building for example the libva port
> with gcc, i.e. put
>
> 	USE_GCC=	any
>
> in it's port Makefile.  And if that doesn't help try building
> the libva-vdpau-driver or libvdpau ports with gcc too.
>
> And don't forget to report what you find of course... :)
>
> HTH,
> 	Juergen

Hi Juergen:

Well I got a little bit further, but still no hardware acceleration.  I
had to install libva-vdpau-driver, for some reason it was not installed.
Shouldn't it have been installed by one of the other ports?  Maybe I am
missing some other port that I need?  So now I have:

# vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.33.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/local/lib/va/nvidia_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_33
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.33 (libva 1.1.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems VDPAU backend for VA-API
- 0.7.4
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
       VAProfileMPEG2Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileMPEG2Main              :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileMPEG4Simple            :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileMPEG4AdvancedSimple    :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileH264Main               :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileH264High               :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileVC1Simple              :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileVC1Main                :	VAEntrypointVLD
       VAProfileVC1Advanced            :	VAEntrypointVLD

But when I run vlc I do not see hardware acceleration.
[0x803c2a078] main input debug: looking for a subtitle file in
/root/Music/
[0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 28
candidates
[0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: using decoder module "faad"
[0x80e06c458] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 1.959 ms - Total
1.959 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 1.959 ms)
[0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: looking for decoder module: 28
candidates
[0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: libavcodec initialized (interface
0x363b64)
[0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: trying to use direct rendering
[0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: allowing 1 thread(s) for decoding
[0x80e06cc58] avcodec decoder debug: ffmpeg codec (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part
10)) started
[0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: using decoder module "avcodec"
[0x80e06cc58] main decoder debug: TIMER module_need() : 7.807 ms - Total
7.807 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 7.807 ms)

I recompiled
ffmpeg1-1.0.1
libva
libva-vdpau-driver
with GCC, but it still doesn't work.  Giving up for now.  Has anyone got
it working with world and ports compiled with clang?