snd_hda + ION + HDMI audio in 9.1-RC1

Gavin Chappell gavin.chappell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 18:21:36 UTC 2012

Hi,
I've got an ION-based HTPC setup in my house, which I want to look
into converting to FreeBSD from Ubuntu. One stumbling block so far is
that I haven't been able to get HDMI audio to work thus far; the
correct PCM devices seem to be recognised from the command line, but
audio won't play either from the command line or from within XBMC. I
saw an old thread on this list from the start of 2012 about the new
snd_hda driver setup, at that time it was working on most discrete
Nvidia GPUs but not the ION series, I'm just wondering whether anyone
knows whether any progress has been made recently and whether it's
worth me trying again with 9.1-RC1 (and then upgrading to -RELEASE
when it's, well, released!)

Regards,
Gavin