jack_umidi and USB devices

Marcel Bonnet marcelbonnet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:57:41 UTC 2012

Hi Hans Petter, and guys.

Please, help to understand about the -d flag. Am I doing something
wrong, please?

If I run

$ jack_umidi -d /dev/umidi0.0

then I capture MIDI signal. It's ok.

But now that I'm setting up my apps, I tried to separate the MIDI
channels, routing every channel to its on linuxsampler channel, via
jackd.

So, if I run

$ jack_umidi -d /dev/umidi0.[1-15]

I have no MIDI signal.

I tried with dd:

$ dd if=/dev/umidi0.0
^C0+43 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 2.739827 secs (0 bytes/sec)

$ dd if=/dev/umidi0.[1-15]
^C0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 2.547537 secs (0 bytes/sec)

I programmed my keyboard (Roland XP-30) to send MIDI signal from
various channels. No matter what the channel is sending, I always
receive MIDI signal from /dev/umidi0.0 . I really belive the keyboard
is sending MIDI through the channel desired because of the audio
device blinks the status led - otherwise I could miss programming the
keyboard.

Thanks in advance.
--
Marcel Bonnet