native sound tools in FreeBSD?

Zhihao Yuan lichray at gmail.com
Sat May 21 17:56:42 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen
<torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On Sat, 21 May 2011 00:36:24 +0200
> Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Quick question: do we have any sound tools in FreeBSD that are
>> considered "native" (in other words, that comes with FreeBSD, without
>> installing any ports)?
>> I'm thinking of tools like these:
>> http://manuals.opensound.com/usersguide/ossplay.html
>> http://manuals.opensound.com/usersguide/ossrecord.html
>> http://manuals.opensound.com/usersguide/osstest.html
>>

> Somedays, my thinking isn't at its best. A simple 'cat' or redirection
> works well for this purpose:
> "record" from dsp1 and playback on dsp0:
> cat /dev/dsp1.0 > /dev/dsp0.0
>
> record to file, with playback while recording:
> tee soundfile.test < /dev/dsp1.0 > /dev/dsp0.0
>
> and playback of the file afterwards:
> cat soundfile.test > /dev/dsp0.0
>
> And it all works. Nice!

Not really. By using the devices directly, you can not setup the
parameters for the devices, and you can not play/record formated
soundfile correctly, like WAV. So these tools, ossplay and others, are
really essential. But may not be that essential for a base system.

> --
> Torfinn

Zhihao Yuan