Webcam recommendations

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sun Mar 20 15:46:19 UTC 2011

In article <20110318191233.GA1127 at tiny> you write:
>El día Friday, March 18, 2011 a las 07:58:25PM +0100, David Demelier escribió:
>
>> > just a small table of
>> >
>> > Manufactors Model Name | VendorID:ProductID | driver/kmod | additional comments/hints
>> > -----------------------+--------------------+-------------+--------------------------
>> > Philips SPC900NC       | 0x0471:0x0329      | pwc.ko      |
>> >
>> > 	matthias
>> >

>> Do not forget multimedia/webcamd, it contains a *lot* of drivers for
>> webcam and UVC video class too (found in a lot of webcam and laptops).
>>
>> The problem is which software are working? amsn, cheese, kopete (iirc),
>> gajim, pidgin does not supports it..
>
>Yes, you are right; there should be one more column to show which apps
>are working with the driver/kmod; while Skype and pwcview(1) are
>working fine with the above Philips SPC900NC and pwc.ko, I have another
>webcam in a netbook which is working fine in kopete via webcamd, but
>at the same time Skype is not; I'm right now debugging this...

I thought the reason it doesn't work was just that the linuxolator
doesn't support v4l2?

 Anyway, the webcamd port now installs manpages for the Linux
drivers it uses so you can also look there to find out if a particular
webcam (or dvb tuner) might work.  Look at SEE ALSO in webcamd's
manpage.

 HTH,
	Juergen  (who doesn't use webcams here, only dvb tuners and
an mceusb ir receiver/transmitter... :)