Problem during installation of gnome2 from ports

Koop Mast kwm at rainbow-runner.nl
Thu Mar 17 08:23:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 16:15 -0700, Peter Belew wrote:
> I installed the 64-bit FreeBSD 8.2 on a Compaq Presario system
> (originally sold as "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005),
> and encountered problems installing gnome2 from ports, the most recent
> involving gstreamer-plugins-base. Here's the basic sequence of what I
> did:
>
> This problem occurred after I
>
> - Downloaded FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso on 13 March 2011
> - Installed FreeBSD on the Compaq (getting all packages from the
> FreeBSD web site).
> -Tried to install gnome2 from packages using sysinstall and failed -
> many packages seemed to be missing.
> - Was left with broken gnome
> - Used cvsup to update ports
> - Successfully installed apache22, php, and mysql from ports
> - Created a web site which works so far
> - Installed keyboard, mouse, and vesa drivers from ports
> - Had minimal gnome working after the drivers were installed
> - Then tried to install gnome2 from ports to get full gnome apps/utilities
> - encountered conflicts with gstreamer-plugins-base versions
>
> I've attached files showing the error messages and a list of installed packages
>
> screen1.txt shows the error messages on my screen when the
> installation failed, including the request to contact you.
>
> Then there is /usr/ports/sysutils/gstreamer-plugins-hal/work/gst-plugins-good-0.10.27/config.log
>
> Then the list of packages installed on the system, as requested.
>
> Thank you,
>
> - Peter L. Belew

 checking for GST_PLUGINS_BASE... no
 configure: Requested 'gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 >= 0.10.32' but
version of GSt
 reamer Base Plugins Libraries is 0.10.31
 configure: error: no gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 >= 0.10.32 (GStreamer
Base Plug
 ins) found

The error tells you that a too old version of gstreamer-plugins-base is
installed. You you should do it install ports-mgmt/portmaster and use it
to update all your installed ports (portmaster -a). After that you can
install the ports you want without any porblems.

-Koop