FYI: v4l-linuxulator support in FreeBSD-current now

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Tue Jan 11 21:09:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:17:59 -0500, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Juergen Lock <nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
>
> >  And FE_[GS]ET_PROPERTY I think are part of the `new' dvb api that
> > was introduced when adding support for dvb-s2, which would also
> > explain why the naive patch appeared to work:  whatever app(s) were
> > used to test it probably were just still using the `old' dvb api.
> > (Well, or the tests were only done on i386. :)
>
> Test was done with just azap, dvbtraffic, and test_dvr on amd64..
>
> Drew

At issue is not if the simple patch works for a few apps.  At issue
is whether or not FreeBSD should code defensively to protect against
possible problems in the future.

When I did the V4L shim, my initial test app (Skype) also worked without
much of the structure conversion code.  I was asked to write additional
structure conversion code anyway, because it is the correct way to
handle such data when the field sizes are not defined.

The good news is that the conversion code is not complex.  One copy
in function and one copy out function that hande those data types whose
length may vary is needed for each such structure.

The bad news is, as I understand it, that DVB is tied closely to V4L2,
so it may be necessary to implement a complete set of conversion code
for all V4L2 functions, too.  Is this the case?  I'm not sure.

On the other hand, if it is working acceptably now, we could just add
the simpler patch and punt any conversion code until/if something is
found to not work properly, later.

	-jr