Webcamd testers wanted on FreeBSD 8.2

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Jan 8 18:18:06 UTC 2011

On Saturday 08 January 2011 18:41:10 Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone running FreeBSD 8.2-RC1 with more than one or external USB
> webcam or DVB-XXX devices verify the following:
>
> 1) Install /usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd
>
> 2) Reboot
>
> 3) Check that character devices are created for your device(s) under /dev
>
> /dev/videoX for webcams
>
> /dev/dvb/adapterX for DVB devices
>
> 3) HAL should show your device.
>
> lshal | grep -i video
> lshal | grep -i dvb
>
> 4) Hot replug the USB plug of your USB webcam/DVB device, perform checks
> 1,2 and 3. If same result everything is OK.

Hi,

After that the devd notify string was changed last year, hald stopped
registering attached USB devices because the match string was too narrow. Can
someone with HAL knowledge please review the attached patch for
/usr/ports/sysutils/hal .

My patch uses strstr() instead of strncmp(), but really a full parse with
respect to " characters is required, because cdev=ugen, could appear inside
some strings.

When it works, lshal will show USB devices plugged after boot.

--HPS