xbmc pvr in ports; update, please test with MythTV too! :)

Bernhard Froehlich decke at bluelife.at
Mon Dec 12 13:54:12 UTC 2011

On 12.12.2011 13:26, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> On 05.12.2011 19:56, Juergen Lock wrote:
>> I just updated to the latest release pvr-ppa-odk56:
>>
>> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk56.patch
>>
>>  It would be nice if someone could verify this works with mythtv too
>> before I commit it...
>
> First thing I noticed was that XBMC_Mythtv.pvr should really be
> XBMC_MythTV.pvr because it complains in the logfile when loading the
> addon:
>
> ERROR: ADDON: Could not locate XBMC_MythTV.pvr
>
> Moving the file to
> /usr/local/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv/XBMC_MythTV.pvr
> gets it a step further.
>
> Next thing is an undefined symbol:
>
> ERROR: Unable to load
> /usr/local/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv/XBMC_MythTV.pvr,
> reason: /usr/local/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv/XBMC_MythTV.pvr:
> Undefined
> symbol "_ZTI14MythXmlCommand"
>
> It looks like this is part of libmythxml but It was not linked to the
> shared object. While searching for that problem I found the following
> commit which includes a hunk for xbmc/pvrclients/mythtv/Makefile.in
> and
> looks pretty right in what it does. But it's quite different code
> than
> what you have in your port. Are you sure you aren't using an old
> branch
> for the PVR code?
>

> http://xbmc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=xbmc/xbmc;a=patch;h=7e83f17
>
> Both problems fixed with the attached patch.
>
> Now getting to the next undefined symbol:
>
> ERROR: Unable to load
> /usr/local/lib/xbmc/addons/pvr.mythtv/XBMC_MythTV.pvr, reason:
> /usr/local/lib/xbmc/add
> ons/pvr.mythtv/XBMC_MythTV.pvr: Undefined symbol "GetChannelsAmount"

I got the plugin load correctly now with another patch that is
attached. After
setting the PIN in mythtv-setup it also connects fine to the backend
now but
I cannot import any channels into xbmc so I cannot even test watching
TV.

It feels a lot like the code is unfinished or unmaintained and not
expected
to work with mythtv 0.24. The future also doesn't look good because I
found
in the MythTV wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MythXML):

The MythXML interface has been rewritten for upcoming 0.25, and these
methods
will no longer be valid.

So the xbmc pvr plugin for mythtv is kind of useless.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/