A better remote for pctv452e/s2-3600, dib0700/nova-td (dvb-s2/t)

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Aug 20 17:06:05 UTC 2011

Hi!

 I just tried this so I wanted to share...  Both my dvb-s2 (TechnoTrend
S2-3600 and most likely also the original PCTV 452e) and my new
dual dvb-t tuner Hauppauge Nova-TD (see

	http://wiki.freebsd.org/WebcamCompat

) work with an universal remote configured as an rc5 remote Hauppauge
PVR-350 (I used a Logitech Harmony but other universal remotes
should also work as long as they can use the PVR-350 config), if I
set the /usr/local/etc/rc_keymaps/haupp keymap using ir-keymap(1)
installed by the multimedia/v4l-utils port:

	ir-keymap -d /dev/input/event0 -w /usr/local/etc/rc_keymaps/haupp

(you can ignore the error about setting protocol which doesn't work
since webcamd doesn't emulate Linux' /sys nodes), and then configure
lirc for devinput as described in the lirc port's pkg-message, quote:

webcamd 3.0.0.1 now supports /dev/input/eventX (X there can be for
example 0, 8, 16 etc) and uses it exclusively for almost all tuners,
only mceusb IR-only devices now support both interfaces.  So if you
don't get a /dev/lircX device node anymore and want to make lirc
use a remote with such a tuner you now need the lirc devinput driver,
if you start lircd via the rc.d script set lircd_flags and lircd_device
in rc.conf(5), like:

        lircd_flags="-H devinput"
        lircd_device="/dev/input/event0"

The example lircd.conf includes the devinput config file too so if
all goes well irw(1) should still work with such tuners and show
buttons pressed [...]

 (and yes, irw(1) works with the PVR350 config.)

 Btw I used this particular remote since a) it's rc5 (which both
these tuners' shipped remotes use) and b) it was one with one of
the most buttons out of the available rc5 keymaps in
/usr/local/etc/rc_keymaps so I can assign extra buttons to custom
functions using lirc too (which I still need to do, I want to define
at least buttons to start either of vdr-sxfe or xbmc...)

 Enjoy, :)
	Juergen