Linuxolator v4l2/dvb - trying to collect data about latest skype

Juergen Lock nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sun Apr 24 14:05:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 02:18:31PM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I now have finshed seperating the dvb part of the patches out into
> a port:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/linux_dvbwrapper-kmod.shar
>
> and made new src patches that now contain the v4l2 bits only:
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/linux-v4l2-8-test.patch
> 	(for 8, this is what I tested)
>
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/linux-v4l2-test.patch
> 	(for head, untested)
>
>  The only outstanding issues I now know of are,
>
> a) netchild suggested I try an older videodev2.h from Linux 2.6.17,
>    I'm not sure that's necessary but mainly I want to know more
>    about the second issue first before trying it:

I now did that anyway and found at least skype and flash with my
camera seem to behave the same as before:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/linux-v4l2-2.6.17-8-test.patch
	(for 8)

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/linux-v4l2-2.6.17-test.patch
	(for head, again untested)

 This loses a few features tho that _may_ be useful for other apps
or later versions so I'm still not 100% sure this is a good idea...

> b) Video doesn't work for me with the latest skype beta on 8/amd64
>    and a gspca camera that needs the Linux libv4l,
>
> 	http://download.skype.com/linux/skype_static-2.2.0.25.tar.bz2
>
>    kwm got it working on head/i386 with a camera that doesn't need
>    libv4l (iirc) and now I'd like to know for who of you it works
>    or doesn't and on which FreeBSD version/arch and whether your
>    camera needs libv4l, so please test! :)
>
>    Posts about getting audio working with newer skype versions:
>    (tho probably not necessary for testing video only)
>
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-April/011935.html
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-April/011982.html
>
>    As mentioned there, I did get video (and audio) working with the
>    previous skype version that's still available here:
>
> 	http://download.skype.com/linux/skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2
>
>    and I extracted both downloaded tarballs below my homedir and ran:
>
> 	LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so ./skype_static-2.2.0.25/skype --resources=$PWD/skype_static-2.2.0.25
>
>    resp. for the previous version:
>
> 	LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so ./skype_static-2.1.0.81/skype --resources=$PWD/skype_static-2.1.0.81

 I'm still not much wiser as to what's the issue there, could those
where the latest skype version does work collect webcamd v4l2 debug
logs with and without the LD_PRELOAD maybe?  That would be nice!

 You'll need to build the latest webcamd port with the DEBUG knob
on and start it manually, passing the relevant debug `module
parameter' for your cam's Linux driver, like

	-m gspca.debug=0x107

for a gspca or

	-m stk-webcam.debug=3

for an stk or

	-m uvc_driver.trace=0x7f

for an uvc.  You can get a list by running webcamd with -s; if no
other value for v4l2 debugging is mentioned in the output for your
webcam's driver try 3 (V4L2_DEBUG_IOCTL|V4L2_DEBUG_IOCTL_ARG), if
you can't get it working look in your webcam's driver source below

	/usr/ports/multimedia/webcamd/work/webcamd-0.1.23/v4l-dvb/linux/drivers/media/video

or show me the webcamd debug ouput so I can see which driver it is
and look at its source.

 Thanx! :)
	Juergen