Linuxolator v4l2/dvb patches (like for webcamd + skype...)

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 16 10:09:15 UTC 2011

on 15/04/2011 20:46 Juergen Lock said the following:
>  I also couldn't get audio input to work with that skype version
> but maybe that just was because I am on 8 and used a Linux alsa
> oss plugin,
>
> 	http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/10/i386/alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.21-3.fc10.i386.rpm
>
> with this /compat/linux/etc/asound.conf:
>
> -----snip--------
[snip]
> -----snip--------
>
> ...instead of messing with pulseaudio and the patches it needs like
> you posted here:
>
> 	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-February/011696.html
>
> (I did hear skype's sounds that way btw, just the webcam's builtin
> mic on /dev/dsp4 wouldn't want to record anything even tho skype
> allowed me to select `dsp4' as mic input.)

I think that this is a well known and still unresolved issue.
As far as I know nobody has been able to get a microphone working with any
non-OSS version of Skype via ALSA emulation.  That's exactly the reason why I
started looking at PulseAudio.
Not sure if it's worth debugging alsalib input issue further.  It's open source
after all, so a determined person with proper test environment could go to far
length.  But I am sticking to pulseaudio for time being.

BTW, to update on the link that you quoted:
- the kernel patches are already in head and stable/[78]
- libasyncns in the ports
- pulseaudio-libs is in the PR db
- for pulse communication via local sockets one has to create an additional link
in ~/.pulse directory: "${hostname}:runtime" which should point to the same
location as "${hostname}-runtime" created by native pulseaudio daemon.  This is
because of different pulseaudio versions.
- input and output sources have to be set via pulseaudio config, e.g.:
default-sink = oss_output.dsp4
default-source = oss_input.dsp1
in client.conf.

--