webcamd-0.1.23 does not start via rc.d

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Apr 14 13:24:17 UTC 2011

Matthias Apitz wrote:
 > I've nailed it down:
 > [...]
 > i.e. the 2nd arg (from $cdev) is empty;

Yes, that's exactly the symptom that I was seeing.
My conclusion was that $cdev just doesn't work in devd.conf
in 8-stable.  I thought it might have been a new feature in
9-current (but that was just a guess).

 > the permissions of /dev/video0 are created as 0600, this as well
 > should be changed by some lines in /usr/local/etc/devd/webcamd.conf
 > to 0666, I think;

I'm not sure if that's the appropriate place.  I opted for
creating a group "video" (make s sens, IMHO), added myself
to that group, and appended this line to /etc/devfs.rules:

add path 'video*' mode 0660 group video

The advantage of that approach is that it's independent of
the way how /dev/video* gets created (whether by pwc.ko or
cuse4bsd.ko + webcamd or whatever).  It works in any case.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."
        -- Niklaus Wirth