Grip 3.3.1

J. Altman freebsd-announce at chthonic.com
Sun May 23 23:44:35 UTC 2010

Greetings...

Shortly after my trouble report about Grip, on March 20, the
maintainer of Grip was kind enough to fix the problem that caused Grip
to fail on my installation.

Regretfully, I was unable to report that good news. I am able to

Grip 3.3.1, the development version, now fails on the same machine:

 uname -a
FreeBSD whisperer.chthonixia.net 8.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2
#0: Sat May 15 11:47:55 EDT 2010
root at whisperer.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WHISPERER  amd64

This is a fresh ports tree, with no obvious failures related to Grip
in the recent portupgrade.

After upgrading Grip using portupgrade, Grip simply dumped core; after
reinstalling Grip, I could see a brief dialog box in which I was told
"This is a development version; if you have issues, please revert to a
stable version."

So, three things: my trouble report, and my request: can someone please
provide me with a pointer to an FAQ for reverting to an earlier
version of a port, in case the maintainer cannot remedy this latest
issue? I can't seem to find one. Finally, if there is some sort of
debugging build for Grip I can install, or a backtrace I can obtain,
please let me know and I'll look at doing that.

Thanks for any assistance, and best regards,

Joe