Duplicate Sound Devices Detected...Sound Not Working

Lawrence Fitzgerald anyedge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 21:42:19 UTC 2010

Hello, I am currently running PCBSD 8.0 on my Sager NP2096 laptop and I am
having problems with the sound detection:

root at pcbsd-8111# dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0

Here is a part of dmesg:

hdac0: <Intel 82801I High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xf2500000-0xf2503fff irq 22 at device 27.0 on pci0
hdac0: HDA Driver Revision: 20090624_0136
hdac0: [ITHREAD]
hdac0: HDA Codec #0: Realtek ALC268
hdac0: HDA Codec #1: Lucent/Agere Systems (Unknown)
hdac0: HDA Codec #3: NVidia MCP78 HDMI
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0
nvidia0: <GeForce 9600M GT> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
nvidia0: [ITHREAD]

Here is "cat /dev/sndstat":

root at pcbsd-8111# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 32bit 2009061500/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0 kld snd_hda
[MPSAFE] (1p:5v/1r:4v channels duplex default)
pcm1: <HDA NVidia MCP78 HDMI PCM #0 Digital> at cad 3 nid 1 on hdac0 kld
snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:2v/0r:0v channels simplex)

KMixer shows two sets of "OSS Audio" tabs available--both with "Front" and
"PCM" slide bars. I can individually set the settings for each "OSS Audio"
tab, but there is still no sound. I did have sound with the PCBSD7 series.  I
was advised to send an email here to see if anyone had any thoughts/ideas.
Any help would be great.  Thank you.

--Lawrence Fitzgerald