Intel HD Audio project?

Kaya Saman SamanKaya at netscape.net
Tue Jun 1 23:00:12 UTC 2010

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On 2 June 2010 08:03, Kaya Saman <SamanKaya at netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've just bought a new Intel Mini-ITX system board with multi channel hi-def
>> audio....
>>
>> The system is being used as a barebones mini mainframe with no GUI but none
>> the less I have installed xmms2 on it as I thought it could be a good radio
>> station and also just for fun listening too :-)
>>
>> Anyhow, each time I tried to start xmms2 I got a response of OSS not found.
>> I then built OSS from the ports collection and rebooted and unfortunately I
>> still get an error:
>>
>> $ xmms2d
>> INFO: ../src/xmms/log.c:49: Initialized logging system :)
>> 23:00:07  INFO: ../src/xmms/ipc.c:795: IPC listening on
>> 'tcp://192.168.1.120:9090'.
>> 23:00:07  INFO: ../src/xmms/main.c:517: Using output plugin: oss
>> 23:00:07 ERROR: ../src/xmms/output.c:978: Could not initialize output plugin
>> Starting XMMS2 phone home agent...
>>
>> pciconf -lv gives this response:
>>
>> none1 at pci0:0:27:0:    class=0x040300 card=0x50038086 chip=0x3a3e8086
>> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>>   vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>   device     = 'HD Audio Controller'
>>   class      = multimedia
>>   subclass   = HDA
>>
>> I am guessing the none1 at the beginning means that there is no driver in
>> the system for it??
>>
>> I did manage to find this on Google:
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2006-September/004720.html
>> however it seems that the project is now closed as there is no more source
>> code downloadeable for the driver.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest anything to get my sound device working?
>>

> The above driver is now in the base system, just `kldload snd_hda`
> (and put the line snd_hda_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf).
>

> Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

Sorry for getting delayed a bit with my last reply as am on 2 different
machines which don't auto update regularly.....

Anyhow it works now and just managed to hack out XMMS2 as well so I have
a fully audible server now :-)

I remember I did this before on my first build, however in the mean time
I think I panicked as I have to go  back home tomorrow which means a 4
hour flight so time constraints got the better of me this time.

Hey not too bad though as this is really the second build with FreeBSD
that I've ever done so all is pretty cool ;-)

Regards,

Kaya