FYI: v4l-linuxulator support in FreeBSD-current now

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Tue Jan 12 17:51:13 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 18:46:21 J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:23:38 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
wrote:
> > > Thanks for your work! Having this support now in FreeBSD for my
> > > multimedia/pwcbsd based cam in Skype, I'd like to have the same for the
> > > cam in my EeePC 900, about which Linux says:
> > >
> > >       [   11.540000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> > >       [   11.560000] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device CNF7129
> > > (04f2:b071) [   11.690000] usbcore: registered new interface driver
> > > uvcvideo [   11.690000] USB Video Class driver (SVN r2008.02.27)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Any chance to get this supported in the future?
> >
> > Right now that driver is available from the webcamd package announced
> > earlier this week, though not BSD licensed.
> >
> > I tried to install Skype on AMD64 and the V4L IOCTL's are not picked up
> > by the linux_ioctl.c !
> >
> > Any fix for this?
> >
> > --HPS
>
> Hans,
>
> The Linux V4L support is only a system call translation layer
> to allow Linux V4L apps to access FreeBSD V4L drivers.  In other
> words, the FreeBSD driver must offer a VL4 support itself.
>
> I looked for webcamd on freshports.org but nothing comes up.
> I am not familiar with the drivers in it.  Do they include V4L
> support?

Hi,

I put some more info on webcamd here:

http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/video4bsd/

Yes, it provides a /dev/video0 that responds to V4L IOCTLs.

The only thing I noticed is that the wrong IOCTL's are coming in, and that
they are not being translated by the linux_ioctl.c, probably because the wrong
syscall is being used?

--HPS