DVB/ATSC library?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 12 09:41:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Markus Rechberger
<mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we are trying to find a sane way for integrating DVB/ATSC
> devices with FreeBSD how about using a library which gives us more
> possibilities?
> PCI devices are still not possible to be used with userspace only
> drivers, while with USB devices this is no problem, so in case
> the developer can decide if he wants to write a userspace driver which
> does not create any real nodes in /dev or to handle most things in
> kernelspace.
>
> Basically the first version of the library only has to replace
> open/close/read/write/ioctl/mmap/munmap/dup/poll/access(maybe)/stat.
> Since most linux players have to be modified for FreeBSD anyway this
> should not be such a problem, maybe the hack that we have a
> kernelmodule emulating
> the videointerfaces is not really the best way to go for.
> I volunteer to port some v4l-dvb Apps and tvtime to FreeBSD.
>
> Since VDPAU also seems to work on FreeBSD I'm very much interest to
> support our DVB-C (especially for HDTV)/DVB-T/analogTV/FM radio USB
> Stick on FreeBSD,
> now the driver is working but there are just no applications available
> which work out of the box.
>
> Markus

Hi Markus (mrec from irc?)

HPS has been working to try and get USB DVB devices working through
video4bsd/webcamd/cuse4bsd, and I'm the gimp doing the testing(!)

For testing with v4l, I minimally ported linux-dvb-utils, and have had
'scan' working at least. I've also applied the same sort of patches to
mplayer (configure with --enable-dvbhead), but not yet had a chance to
test it - still can't tune the device to a channel yet :)

Cheers

Tom