DVB/ATSC library?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Fri Feb 12 07:25:24 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 February 2010 06:45:05 Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since we are trying to find a sane way for integrating DVB/ATSC
> devices with FreeBSD how about using a library which gives us more
> possibilities?
> PCI devices are still not possible to be used with userspace only
> drivers, while with USB devices this is no problem, so in case
> the developer can decide if he wants to write a userspace driver which
> does not create any real nodes in /dev or to handle most things in
> kernelspace.
>
> Basically the first version of the library only has to replace
> open/close/read/write/ioctl/mmap/munmap/dup/poll/access(maybe)/stat.
> Since most linux players have to be modified for FreeBSD anyway this
> should not be such a problem, maybe the hack that we have a
> kernelmodule emulating
> the videointerfaces is not really the best way to go for.
> I volunteer to port some v4l-dvb Apps and tvtime to FreeBSD.
>
> Since VDPAU also seems to work on FreeBSD I'm very much interest to
> support our DVB-C (especially for HDTV)/DVB-T/analogTV/FM radio USB
> Stick on FreeBSD,
> now the driver is working but there are just no applications available
> which work out of the box.

+1 ... I have a driver for PCI attached mantis cards.  It simply exports a
buffer with the raw mpeg ts stream to userland where it also handles the
frontend programming.  The missing link is something to make sense of the mpeg
ts stream.

IMHO, the v4l2 api is terribly broken by design - as it mandates at least one
copy per ts-frame (possibly more than one), but as it is unlikely that we will
convince enough people to get behind a sensible API now, I'd also like to have
a lib that bridges the gap.

Regards,
  Max