Ekiga3 and webcamd working (was: [FreeBSD 8/9] USB webcamd and video4bsd: Call for testing)

Andrey V. Elsukov bu7cher at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 3 06:04:57 UTC 2010

On 03.02.2010 8:37, Curtis Villamizar wrote:
> I did use libv4l2 aka /usr/ports/multimedia/libv4l.  It wouldn't work
> any other way.  If I shut down webcamd the video stops working.

 From lib4l description:

libv4l is a collection of libraries which adds a thin abstraction layer on
top of video4linux2 devices. The purpose of this (thin) layer is to make it
easy for application writers to support a wide variety of devices without
having to write seperate code for different devices in the same class.

These libs can be used in two ways:
1. You can modify your code and replace any calls such as open/close/ioctl/etc
corresponding to v4l[1,2]_open/v4l[1,2]_close/etc. Also you should link your
application with v4l1 or v4l2 libraries.

2. You can use LD_PRELOAD for v4l1compat library and it will replace any
open/close/ioctl/etc calls and redirect them to v4l1 or v4l2 libraries.

Also you can read some information about libv4l from the author here:
http://hansdegoede.livejournal.com/3636.html

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov