Call for testing: new mplayer and x264 port

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Mon Feb 1 14:48:33 UTC 2010

Quoting Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander at googlemail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have spent some time working on the experimental new mplayer port
> and the (dissatisfying) x264 story today, and those of you who are
> interested can find the results here:
> http://www.rrr.de/~riggs/mplayer/m20100131.tar.bz2
>
> It contains the drop-in replacements for multimedia/mplayer and
> mencoder as well x264 (beware, the library version of ports depending
> on it must be bumped but it works with this mencoder port).
>
> So now we have all the latest and greatest features combined in this tarball:
> - Video4Linux support for webcam owners
> - Nvidia VDPAU support
> - x264 encoding (with or without speed optimized asm routines, your
> choice!), very recent x264 version (I'd assume maintainership of x264
> when this is committed if nobody objects)
>
> I have tested this only on amd64 so far, so I'd appreciate as much
> feedback as you can provide.
>
> Happy transcoding,
> Riggs

I briefly tested 20100130 yesterday and it worked fine.  Right now,
I'm building 20100131.  I used mplayer for years but gave it up
because of it not being updated and found other tools that worked
better for what I needed although I wasn't as comfortable with them.
It looks like I am back to mplayer thanks to your non-trivial work to
build the port and the dependencies synchronized and working.  THANKS!

ed