HDMI audio support with radeon driver

Pierre Guinoiseau geekounet at poildetroll.net
Tue Dec 28 21:11:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

is there any WIP on enabling audio output throught HDMI with the radeon driver?
It seems it has been recently implemented in the Linux kernel 2.6.33 [1], but
it's in the KMS driver, so will it need to wait for a KMS implementation on
FreeBSD too? I don't really know how this is supposed to work, but can't it be
just hacked in the snd_hda driver?

I know this is implemented (and working well I suppose) with the radeonhd
driver, but... radeonhd segfaults on my computer, and I need the radeon driver
anyway. :)

For now, when I try to play a video with the HDMI sound output, it plays the
video too fast and with no sound at all, like described here [2]. The snd_hda
driver does strange things.

Anyway, if I can be of any usefulness to have it implemented on FreeBSD, like
for testing it, I will be glad to, of course. :)

Thanks!

Pierre G.

[1]: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=1254080322.10803.20.camel%40zweiundvierzig&forum_name=dri-devel
[2]: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2009-December/010578.html