VLC audio input

Robert Kopp kopp.robert at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 07:03:15 UTC 2010

When I use VLC with a Webcam (/dev/video0) and a microphone (/dev/dsp), the video is recorded, but it complains about the sound. According to the info on the videolan Website, it is necessary to use VLC with the switch --input-slave=oss:// to blend these streams, although it is not obvious how to do this. This seems like a common task, so perhaps someone else has already done it.

Anyhow, mpeg4ip (called with "mp4live") gets it right without configuration, and I have I have been using it for such tasks. But I get the impression that VLC is more configurable.

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/