forcing two channel output

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Sep 2 09:54:05 UTC 2009

on 28/08/2009 20:37 Alexander Motin said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Please see verbose dmesg here:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/ga-ma780g-ud3h/verbose.dmesg.txt
[snip]
> You can do whatever you like: disable them with as=0 or turn into many
> separate devices with as=15, or even turn them into many additional inputs.

Alexandr,

so I thought that splitting them off into separate devices was a cool idea and I
did the following:
hint.hdac.1.cad0.nid21.config="as=15 seq=0"
hint.hdac.1.cad0.nid22.config="as=15 seq=0"
hint.hdac.1.cad0.nid23.config="as=15 seq=0"

Now I got 3 additional pcm/dsp devices.
New dmesg is available here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/ga-ma780g-ud3h/verbose.2.dmesg.txt

New setup works but it is not without problems.
1. Output to dsp4 works perfectly.

2. Output to dsp6 doesn't work at all - a process writing to it gets stuck and
the following can be seen in system log:
pcm6: chn_write(): pcm6:virtual:dsp6.vp0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
hdac1: timeout in reset

3. Output to dsp5 is the most strange. If I write to it after using dsp4 then it
works but sound goes to the same jack as for dsp4 (Black at Rear). If I write to
it after using dsp6 then it doesn't work just the same as dsp6 itself. The same
message go to the log (with "dsp6") in them.

I suspect that there could be some hardware quirk, but I think that the behavior
of dsp5 points to a possible driver issue.

Thank you for the help!

--
Andriy Gapon