snd_hda not working

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Wed Jun 10 10:11:04 UTC 2009

Quoting Gardner Bell <gbell72 at rogers.com>:

> I just recently upgraded to 7.2-RELEASE-i386 and no longer have any
> sound output.  I've tried all front and rear panel connections to no
>  avail. All mixer settings are maxed, but when I run a program
> through wine that uses sound, pcm gets reset back to 0:0.

 From http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.2R/relnotes-detailed.html

"The snd_hda(4) driver has been updated. This changes include support
for multiple codec per HDA bus, multiple functional groups per codec,
multiple audio devices per functional group, digital (SPDIF/HDMI)
audio input/output, suspend/resume, and part of multichannel audio.

Note that due to added HDMI audio and logical audio devices support,
the updated driver often provides several PCM devices. This means that
in some cases the system default audio device no longer corresponds to
the users's habitual audio connectors. In such cases the default
device can be specified in audio applications' setup or defined
globally via hw.snd.default_unit sysctl, as described in the sound(4)
manual page."