snd_hda works on i386, fails on amd64 (RELENG_7)

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com
Sat Jun 6 01:59:17 UTC 2009

Just an addendum...

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 11:30:20AM +0300, Alexander Motin wrote:

> Could you try to limit amount of system RAM to less then 3.5GB? Hardware
> or driver may have issues with support of more then 32bit addresses. I

I did try this but the same result and dmesg (well except for memory
size).  I also tried tweaking various BIOS settings.  Here are my choices:

AZALIA AUDIO: [Disabled], [Internal codec], [External codec], or
	[Internal codec + External codec]
Front Panel Select: [AC97] or [HD Audio]
 SPDIF Mode Setting: [HDMI Output] or [SPDIF Output]

Obviously toggling the second two did absolutely nothing.  Without the
external codec, the following lines disappear:

hdac0: Probing codec #0...
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: Codec #0 is not responding! Probing aborted.

Without the internal codec, the following lines disappear:

hdac0: Probing codec #3...
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
hdac0: Codec #3 is not responding! Probing aborted.

Exactly what I would expect, but it was worth a shot.  I can dual boot
either i386 or amd64 (both RELENG_7) if you have some other test or debug
code you want me to add.  Remember that it works perfectly in i386.  I'm
only keeping the i386 disk around to help fix this issue.  If you've
completely run out of ideas, let me know so I can turn that disk back
into a mirror.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

-- Rick C. Petty